This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to set up M-Files for drag&drop multiple files without losing information?

Hi there.

I have a use case that I got asked quiet often now from customers.

Some of them have the case, that they get a bunch of documents from their clients. Like 10 to 200 documents.

Those documents need to be in M-Files for later searches, normally they need them for a one time task that will take a period of time. (Like over some weeks or months).
So to add them to M-Files is nessecary but should not consume hours of work. In traditional folders, it was a matter of 3 seconds. Like copy paste and they worked with the folder structure given from the customer.

Now they want those documents in M-Files and also want to work with the given structure, but only as an information. The structure itself is not needed. (But it contains important information to easely see, what document it could be)

They get those documents normally named and structured in folders from their clients. And they want to keep those informations without taking the structure itself.

The titel property of the class is automatic. So if they drag and drop multiple documents into the client and say create all, the filename is gone. Also the information of the folder structure.

The only way is to go thru all documents and create each file seperatly. But that needs way too much time. 

I use a property "original filename" for that. It works if you add one single document. But again, if you add more then one, the first value goes to all of them.

Is there a way to add multiple documents to the vault, that M-Files keeps the information of the document? (like orignal filename and maybe orignal path)

To keep the paths information, it would be cool if I can fill one property of the parent folder from the windows structure. For example:
-Confirmation/file1
-Confirmation/file2
-Confirmation/file3
-Statement/file1
-Statement/file2
-Statement/file3

I need the parent folder (Confirmation or Statement) as a property on the metadata card. The challenge is, those are not fix values, its from costumer to customer different, they set thoes names diffrently. So I need a logic like: Get parent folder name and set the value into property XY.

I hope its kinda clear what Im looking for.

My last option is to try set up some automatic import with M-Files Importer. But not sure if that is the best way.

Thanks for inputs!