The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Assign Metadata Admins

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a way to assign different people for them to be able to add more metadata fields into any list. For example, some department head needs to add a new document type, he then proceeds to add it in the client console. 

Is there a way to do this without making the list type/property definition available to be added more metadata by everyone? I would not like everyone to add more metadata, just a very few, and those few wont have access to the Admin console.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hello, did I understand correctly that you would like to give ordinary (non-admin) users possibility to add either properties to object's metadata and/or add new values to Value lists?

If yes, then you can do this through Class and/or Value list permissions in the admin tool. Select Permissions -tab, add the user who you would like to give special rights t0, select the user by clicking the name in 'Users and groups' box, and then tick the relevant boxes from the options in the lower box. For example in the screen shot, this is Value list for colours, and as I have a tick in the box 'Add new values to the list' for All internal users, it means that everybody can add new colours. But it works the same way for a single user.

And the same with Class, go to permission tab and give a single user rights to either Change or Edit the Class, as necessary.

Hope this was what you were asking for!

• Hi Aino, this kind of works, 

using your example, I would like a single user to be able to add metadata while having All internal users to be on the list for permission to see the objects.

When I have All internal users and take away the Allow to create new metadata privileges, it will take away from the single user I want to give access to add metadata. I tried adding the user on the list but it looks like this won't override the permissions from whatever group this user is in.

Thanks

• Hi Aino, this kind of works, 

using your example, I would like a single user to be able to add metadata while having All internal users to be on the list for permission to see the objects.

When I have All internal users and take away the Allow to create new metadata privileges, it will take away from the single user I want to give access to add metadata. I tried adding the user on the list but it looks like this won't override the permissions from whatever group this user is in.

Thanks

Children
No Data