The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature requests: 1. Ability to rename pinned view / folder / object 2. Group pinned items such as view / folders / objects to the "folder"

1. I've heard from the users that it would be great to be able to rename the pinned items. For example, if one pins a generic view or a virtual folder behind that, one could rename that the way wanted and not follow the generic naming. This would give some sort of control to the users and make the pinned tab even more personal. Naturally the naming change would only affect the one user and would be a personal user based setup. 

2. Haven't thought about that much yet. However, I've heard feedback from the users that it would be really great to have yet again more control within their pin board in M-Files. What do you think, would it make sense to be able to group your pinned items the way you want? For example, if I've pinned few documents and then few views and maybe couple of staff objects, my pin board gets full quite soon. In that case, I'd like to group my pinned items a better way. A familiar way for the users would be to create a "group" or folder to their pin board. In this case it could be something like "pinned documents", "awesome views", "staff records to be checked" etc. This shouldn't affect the metadata of the objects or change it at all. It would just be a personal grouping / dummy foldering for the persons pinned items.

Parents
  • Good idea. Additionally we normally create quite long display names which are combined by various input fields, e.g. 

- Tenant

- Accounting period

- customer numer

- invoice numne

or

OrgUnit Short name - OrgUnit Full name - OrgUnit Main Department OrgUnit Cost Center

Ok so far.

If we create views with grouping levels, e.g. Tenant, Accounting period and Org Unit then we get a very long folder name. - The Folder name might exceed the maximum available full path name 200 (?) charactors because M-Files makes a long directory name out of it.

Possible feature requests to avoid this:

- define display name which is shorter but define a diplay value for Multi- or Single select lookup comboboxes where more fields can be displayed and searched.- or a search full name independently from display name - that more fields of the object can be used for searching an entry

defining a display name composed field name value for the virtual folder - perhaps contraining the search order

define more than only display name as columns for virtual folders which can also be used for sorting, grouping and filtering the virtual folders if you have a long list of it

• Side Note:

Since Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) you can remove the 260 character limit either by registry or group policy..

www.howtogeek.com/.../

Reply Children
No Data