This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Efficient way to consolidate specific information that exists within multiple M-Files Objects

Hi Forum,

What would be the most efficient way to draw together information such as individual property fields (information) that exists within multiple separate objects.

For example: would it be logical and efficient to create a new object with the desired information plus other desired info? Are there any other possibilities to draw together this kind of information?

The case example here is that one particular department wants to see specific information within one metadata card, instead of everything (which is info overload plus it is spread across multiple objects).

This metadata card (or new object) would be shared with multiple staff who regularly request the information in this particular format. 

Many thanks for your help and suggestions!

• Hi Jo,

Is the intent here to consolidate this information into a single object and then remove it from the current locations where it exists? If so I would definitely recommend this approach, particularly if these fields are being updated.  Updating a single field rather than having multiple copies which need updating eliminates the risk of information becoming degraded when one or more of the fields are not updated when they need to be for example.  

Another potential solution would be to identify a unifying object that allows for the related objects which need to be viewed together and create a view for the unifying object.  Within the view you could define columns respective to the fields on the related objects so you had a dashboard for reviewing this content at once and eliminate the need to navigate each metadata card individually.

I hope this helps!

Tom

• Hi Tom, 

If it is possible it would be great to consolidate the information into a single view or object. It would not be removed from other object locations though. At the moment these objects draw their information from an external system. My thoughts were that if the property links to the object there is no information degradation (I hope this is right). 

Defining columns could also be a good idea. I will definitely test this out. Thanks for the useful suggestions!