The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Supported File Formats

Hi All,

I am looking for an updated lists of all file formats that are supported within M-Files, wondering if there is such a list available? I have only been able to find a really old and partial list in my research.

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Joonas,

Thanks for your response, I was thinking more along your first point. I wasn't sure if there was a specific list that was available of formats that we could save into the vault. However, from the sounds of it - it doesn't look like it. Just looking to be able to provide someone with the list so they are confident.

• You can store pretty much any file format into M-Files; I can't think of any limitations at our side, aside from the product features (for example: those listed above by ) that have to physically interact with the file data.  If you're not using those then M-Files will treat the file simply as a stream of data.

• File formats themselves do not create problems, no limitations there. However, some CAD programs and other advanced applications use multiple files at the same time, and some of them need to be placed in a specific folder structure for the application to work. M-Files is not able to handle this out the box. There add on solutions available for some of those CAD solutions.

• is completely correct, and it is something that should be mentioned hand-in-hand with the discussion around supported file formats.

• Thanks everyone. I have experienced similar with vbs files as you need to manually check out the file in order to edit, do we have any sort of list of limitations or things to be aware of in this case?

• Not sure about VBScript files.  I would guess that the behaviour of double-clicking them will depend on how your computer is configured.  Perhaps the user-specific client-side settings might be of interest (these define default check out behaviour by file type)?

User-specific Settings (m-files.com)

• Hey Craig, I have found this is the only file that I have used at least that doesn't checkout when trying to use them. It really isn't the end of the world as the majority of users would never be using them. Perhaps its just the way I use them as well. 

• Craig is correct about VBS (and other special file types). It is not an issue with M-Files but you need to register a default program in Windows for such file types in order to be able to preview or open such files.

Lately I have seen some instances where the file extension were not added correctly in M-Files. A little trick for that is to change the document to Multifile document, then you can open the document list for that document, edit the file name (add the extension), save and change the document back to Single file. Now you have the correct extension.
    I should probably have a close look at the settings myself - could be that new versions of my software are not quite in line with settings registered years ago Wink

• Makes sense, for sure. I have found some of these little things helpful!

Off topic, but somehow related... is this why (file extension added automatically?) the share links doesn't seem to work with the newest release? Doesn't add it as a M-Files link any longer...?

• This looks like the machine doesn't understand the ".mflink" extension. This should be configured by the installer. I've not personally heard of a widespread bug that causes this in any new release. 

I would check with support, but it may be that reinstalling the desktop client is a "simple" fix.