The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Search feature not working

Something weird is going on with my M-Files.  The advanced search is working fine and all of my views are working fine but the basic search isn't working.  When I use the basic search, the system doesn't find anything but I can put the same info in the advanced search and the documents I'm looking for come up just fine.  

Parents
  • Hi there, 

Please describe your server environment in basics: 

• Is it On-premise server, or a Cloud Vault? 
    • If On-Premise, does the hard drive where your document vault is located, have enough space available? 
    • If On-Premise, can you find any error events from the Windows Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application section, related to the search problem, like indexing issues? 
    • If On-Premises, Is it running the basic dtSearch search engine, or HPE IDOL?
    •  If On-Premises, Is it a Firebird or SQL Server based document vault? 
  • We have an On-Premise server; the hard drive is less than 25% full.  I'm sorry, I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions.  We have a 3rd party that comes in to do work on our server when needed.

• To me, this sounds like you need to rebuild full-text search, this is something you can trigger by right-clicking the vault's name in the admin console under the Operations section.  I would also recommend reaching out to support@m-files.com if you have an active support agreement.

• I second this. 

We've been decommissioning an old document system and migrating contents to M-Files. 

We have discovered that during the project, if we are adding a lot of content to the vault, it's best to run nightly full-text index rebuild. 

We are nearing over a million documents in our vault - so it's important to teach users how to search, and not rely solely on a dice roll to plug in a search term and hope they find what they need! 

• if you are near 1 million documents, you should consider switching to IDOL search engine.

Reply Children
No Data