This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

TIL: If you delete a Property, and a View in the Vault references that Property - It too deletes!

Did anyone know this? 

We have about 50 Classes, and you may have seen posts from me when I indicated that we have configurations and default properties. 

For example, if a user selects Class "Report", then "Report Type" will go with it.... 

However, this has proven to limit us and we have not been able to leverage the IML ability to suggest the type of document, as it's not until Class was selected that the type would even be available. 

Therefore, we have many "Type" document properties. We have seen the error of our ways and are now working to move over the values to a filtered Class Type property. This has already been successful with our first few document types and will allow for a better universal taxonomy, rather than searching in multiple properties: 

TODAY - we deleted three of these Type properties - having retagged documents over to now use "Class Type" and updating the workflow and so forth. 

I had informed users that they might have Views stop working as the reference to the old property would be removed. However, it turns out, that M-Files fully deleted the Views that had referenced the deleted properties. 

Additionally, there's no reference to the Views in the export log Structure.xml (see post from last month on undelete a View)

So now I know....?   But I wanted to share this experience as it's a lesson in the ripples as a result of poor deployment, and I'd like to save you from the same pitfalls.