The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Saving Multiselect values as assignment in Configuring the connection to external data sources for object types / value lists

Do you have a feature on your road map where also multi-select values can be stored within a text field using a comma-separated list of either

• internal lookup ids,
  • external database keys (important for foreign key constrains in the database.
  • or perhaps also using the display values of the entries if it is a list with currency 3-letter-codes, for example)

How I can do that using T-SQL for MS SQL server? For that, I have found lots of easy going descriptions via google - but: why is it not supported also by M-Files?

Thank you for informing me about the roadmap plans according to that topic - and for everyone who can confirm from own projects that this would be a real advantage.

(Just drop a comment in this case - maybe also if you have a better idea or if you think this is totally useless Slight smile)

Parents
  • I haven't heard of any roadmap plans in this area, multi-select values can already be read from external databases but they must be provided on separate rows in the database which I know is not always possible. Step 22 in the user guide shows an example of a supported data structure: www.m-files.com/.../Connection_to_external_database.html

If you have a comma-separated list in the database, currently the workaround (as your probably already know) is to read the list into a text property through the external connection and then process and store the values to the desired multi-select lookup property in an event handler.

• Ok that was new to me but a little bit difficult to understand from user guide. That means you have 3 database rows which are identically except the multiselect industry column. Sounds like a hack Slight smile

The workaround is what I have already implemented but would be better to have a standard feature for that. Then you would need a separate property.

• Ok that was new to me but a little bit difficult to understand from user guide. That means you have 3 database rows which are identically except the multiselect industry column. Sounds like a hack Slight smile

The workaround is what I have already implemented but would be better to have a standard feature for that. Then you would need a separate property.

Children
No Data