The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Office Online editing doesn't work

Dear all

I configured M-Files in order to open Office documents in the Microsoft web-apps.

- In M-Files Web Classic Version the browser opens a new tab and the application (Word, Excel etc.), but the document doesn't open. It says that there were occuring problems.
- In M-Files vNext it doesn't work at all (download prompt appears), although I configured it according to the manual.

I use a Microsoft 365 company account and the Office Online server is set according to the manual: onenote.officeapps.live.com/.../discovery

Is that maybe only for private users or do you have any hints what could be wrong?

Kind regards,
Dario

• There are some troubleshooting tips in chapter 6 of the configuration guide (Enabling Microsoft Office for the Web Services for M-Files Web). Windows and IIS logs on the server may also give you some additional hints at what's wrong. If you cannot resolve it with these then you should raise the case with your M-Files representative for technical support.
  • Hi Joonas

Thanks for your answer and your recommendation. 

I already checked the few troubleshooting points at the end of the configuration guide. Unfortunately, this kind of error is not mentioned there. 

The strange thing is that I can see Microsoft Word Online loading, but just the document can't be opened.

I added some screenshots with my configuration, maybe you can give me some hints what to check?

Here are some additional information:

- on-premise Vault (on our own Azure VM) with a Domain and SSL certificate

- Federated Authentication activated with Azure ID only when connecting through HTTPS / Domain (not for local connections)

- New Web Client installed as a subsite (parallel to the classic version)

- No own Office Online Server (needed?) -> Discovery URL is the https://onenote.officeapps.live.com/hosting/discovery

- Microsoft Word Online opens, but the file itself can't be opened

More configuration details as well as the error screenshots can be found in the screenshots.

Questions:

- Do I need an Office Online Server although we have M365 subscriptions and run our M-Files Vault on our own Azure environment?

- Does co-authoring need to be configured before?

- Any other precondition which is not written in the configuration manual?

Thanks again for your support.

Kind regards,

Dario

• If your vault is not hosted on M-Files Cloud, you need to have Office Online Server installed for browser-based editing and co-authoring. In this sense hosting M-Files on your own private Azure subscription can be considered an "on-premises environment" from M-Files' perspective and the on-prem guidance in the documentation primarily followed.

Note that co-authoring is not yet supported on the M-Files New Web, we will be adding this functionality later. You can currently co-author documents from M-Files Desktop and M-Files Classic Web.

Related documentation:

• Thanks a lot Joonas. Now I guess it's clear why it doesn't work :-).