The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

To get a list of Views and what permissions are assigned to each one

A client has got to a point where people are making so many common views and not assigned correct permissions to them that the list of common views that everyone sees is getting very large.

I would like to run a report or get a list of all the views and what permissions are assigned to each one.

Even better, I would like to also get out what the rules of the views are.

Cheers
Pete

• You could export common views to an export package and inspect the generated XML for view rules and permissions.

Please follow the instructions in the article below until step 4:

https://m-files.force.com/s/article/How-to-export-structure-of-the-vault

For step 5, select "Export Structure" select Views-> Common User-defined views.

After export, go to the file location (the file path will be in the tab Package Location, it is usually "C:\M-Files Content Packages\\Out\"), then open the folder Metadata and open the file Structure. This file is an XML document, so the easiest way to visualize it is opening it with Excel.

It takes some effort to find the information and there are a lot of columns and each rule/permission has their own row, but hide the ones that you do not need.

• Hello Sakari,

Nice workaround. However, for example us as a cloud customer, we can't do the exports ourselves (needs sysadmin) and requesting the export from M-Files support or from professional services takes time and is unnecessary task for both parties.

A more simple way to get the information would be useful!

• Sakari's workaround is a great one for on-premises implementations, but I do see the issue with the cloud.

It is also technically possible to obtain this information via the M-Files COM API as well, although I don't have any sample code.  Interacting with the permissions via the API, in particular, can be very awkward.

• Thanks
    I agree this will work, but I might suggest a future feature to allow better visibility into Views within Vaults. It would be handy for documentation if someone deletes a view to being able to create it again exactly as it was.