The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

M-Files Web (vNext) vs. M-Files Desktop Client

I know M-Files has tried to improve the user experience in the new M-Files Web (vNext) vs. Classic Web.  Does this obviate the need for running RPC over HTTPS so that people can use the M-Files desktop client from home?  One missing feature of classic web is the ability to create documents from templates.

Parents
  • The Web ui is still under heavy development and it is not (yet) comparable to the M-Files Desktop software. 

But during this year, there will be quite a bit of progress with the new web ui (vnext). 

About the RPC over HTTPS, it might be a good move to start considering gRPC option. 

More info: 

m-files.force.com/.../Network-connectivity-What-are-the-advantages-disadvantages-gRPC-vs-HTTPS-vs-TCP-IP

• Thanks for your comments.  We have an M-File Web server in the DMZ connecting to M-Files application server behind the firewall.  I think that means we would need to connect via a proxy server not running IIS to use gRPC.

Overall, where is the momentum leaning towards:  M-Files new web or gRPC?

• We have an M-File Web server in the DMZ connecting to M-Files application server behind the firewall.  I think that means we would need to connect via a proxy server not running IIS to use gRPC.

That sounds correct.  Our technical teams have some recommendations for software to do this, maybe reach out to them via your account manager or reseller.

Overall, where is the momentum leaning towards:  M-Files new web or gRPC?

Not sure I understand this question.  The M-Files New Web is a client used to access M-Files.  gRPC is a protocol that can be used to access M-Files, typically from M-Files Desktop.  Is that the question: M-Files Desktop vs M-Files New Web clients?

If so then I'd lean towards the feature comparison document that posted.  There are currently some differences between the two that may cause you to lean one way or another but, as said, we're working hard to reduce these where we can.

• To add to what Craig said, it should be noted that the web client is not designed as a full replacement of the desktop client so some advanced functionality may always be only available in the desktop client, even as we keep adding new features to the web client.

• To add to what Craig said, it should be noted that the web client is not designed as a full replacement of the desktop client so some advanced functionality may always be only available in the desktop client, even as we keep adding new features to the web client.

Children
No Data