Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: M-Files Express (free version) Activation  (Read 5229 times)

ProfWalsh

• View Profile
M-Files Express (free version) Activation
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:21:43 am »

Hi,

I am currently using M-Files as part of a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing course that I teach.  The course is project-based and mimics the launch of a new drug product. I am trying to give my Graduate students as close to a real company project experience as possible. Many documents are created as part of the course so I thought it would be really good for them to see the value of an EDMS (I have worked with Documentum when I was in the industry). I found M-Files, I like it, and I see it as a great tool to teach my students about using EDMS in the Pharma industry. Several teams have done quite well adapting to using M-Files.

Unfortunately now, the trial period has expired. Supposedly you can still use most of the features after the expiration of the trial period. But now, no one can access anything and there is no indication anywhere on how to activate this free version.

Can someone explain how to activate the free version?

Thank you,

Andrew Walsh
Industry Professor
Stevens Institute of Technology

lcilliers

• View Profile
    • Connecting Solutions
Re: M-Files Express (free version) Activation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 06:28:50 am »

You need to register the free version to obtain the activation key.  Follow the lead on the about tab but if you get stuck, contact sales and Motivesys.  The free version is meant to be for private or testing purposes and not for productive use. Keep that in mind.

Server 2003: SBS
XP Professional

ProfWalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:21:24 pm »

Hi lcilliers,

Unfortunately, there's no "About" tab for me to click on now. I cannot log in to M-Files at all. When I try to connect to my vault all I get is a message saying I need to buy a license. The server in the licensing section only provides a text box to enter a key.

As for M-Files only being for "private or testing purposes", that's not what this FAQ indicates. In the first two posts to this section it says:

" M-Files Express,..... provides document management functions for everyone at no cost." and "Because every business has unique needs and goals..... we provide both a free DMS (data management system) and an upgraded option."

I take this to mean the free version can be used freely and also for business purposes.

Regardless, I am trying to use M-Files for educational purposes. I am not making, or trying to make, a cent off of it; as a University we are a not-for-profit organization anyway. In fact, I am actually training many potential future users and/or buyers for M-Files at no cost to M-Files.

Having said that, do you know if M-Files offers, or is considering offering, an "Academic version" of M-Files?

Thank you,

Andrew Walsh
Industry Professor

ProfWalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:07 am »

OK,

I found another post that explained how to activate the free version after the trial period. I have registered and we are up and running again.

For those members who find this thread later on and want the answer, just go to:

http://www.m-files.com/eng/expressconversion.asp

Complete the form and you will get your activation codes.

Andrew Walsh
Industry Professor

Timo

• Support Engineer
  • M-Files employee
    • View Profile
    • M-Files
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:27 am »

Hello,

I would like to point out also that M-Files Express is limited version of the full product.
It allows only five users to log on simultaneously, and there are also other limitations, which you can see at the comparison page Express vs. Professional:

http://www.m-files.com/eng/compare.asp?task=showall

For the academic education class room usage, I suggest you to contact our sales department, as there may be some discounts for this kind of usage. You can contact the Sales department of Motive Systems by sending an email to sales@m-files.com.

ProfWalsh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:26:01 pm »

Hi Timo,

Thanks. Yes, I know there are limitations to the Express version. I did review them beforehand. As an introduction to using EDMS as part of a larger Pharmaceutical project, the Express version is satisfactory.

Unfortunately we did not get to explore some of the more interesting functionality such as workflows and notifications before the trial period expired. 30 days is not really enough. We had enough problems getting it up and running and students connected to it. That's why I asked about an Academic version. I will reach out to the Sales department as you suggest and inquire.

Thanks again,

Andrew Walsh
Industry Professor