Is it possible for a document based on template to automatically convert to Multi-File Document when document enters specific state?

Hello Everyone,

I want to know if it's possible to set-up an automatic conversion of a document into a "Multi-File Document" once the document goes into a certain workflow state.

The document must first be created on the specified Word template, so creating the document initially as a Multi-File Document is not a solution for us.

Basically our users must create a specific report on the dedicated template because there is a requirement in our organisation that the report must be on a specific Word template. However, there is often the need to add supporting documents to the Report once it is created. I direct our users that the best way to achieve this is to convert the report to a Multi-File Document. This allows the report to be kept in its original template as well as providing the possibility to be able to easily add additional documents. However, is still seems that a lot of our users are not fully aware of this capability, despite reminders and training (although they know that the MFD icon represents a 'folder' in their outdated thinking).

So I got the idea that if the Report can be converted to a MFD once it is created (i.e., through an automatic state transition) , then this would remove the need for users having to manually do and think about it.

Many thanks for your solutions/suggestions!

Patrick.