This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Discussion for developers : how to track version of a document vault

Hello,

I am wondering how you manage versions of the vault you are developing. Assume you have a vault made like that in GIT : 

• The structure files, in XML, that you exported via the content replication
  • one custom MFAPPX
  • another custom MFAPPX
  • your configuration files, in JSON, for the CK for example.

When you have an installed vault, you can easily retrieve the MFAPPX version in the admin by right clicking on the vault > Application > column "version". But, there is no way to see the version of the structure and configuration files. 

Is it a question you often ask yourselves? How do you manage that?

• for the structure, I think I would put the version in a value list created only for that. In this way I could see the deployed version in th desktop or admin, and I would be able to upgrade the version number directly in the XML with the CI when doing a release.
  • For the applications, it's in the appdef.
  • For the configuration files, I think their is no way to track a version, but I'm not sure I really need that

Now if we assume we are fine with all the vault component versions, how to store the "master" version. IE :

My vault in 2.0.2 = structure in 2.0.0 , app1 in 1.0.0, app 2 in 1.1.2, config files in 2.0.0.

Right now, I just note that in the vault name, because their is no custom property for a vault. Example : a vault "mycustomvault" will be "mycustomvault-2.0.2-BETA" on my integration server and then I wil rename it "mycustomvault-2.0.2" to deliver it to the client. That is the version I also archive. In fact there are sometimes i use a forth digit, like "mycustomvault-2.0.2.1-BETA" when I need to deliver a .mfb and not a zip of the structure. We sometimes have to redo the .mfb so this is why we need that increment.

By I don't really want that version to appear in production. (but why not after all?)

I'm very curious to know what your guidelines are for that.

Thank you