This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

M-Files Network Connector

Dear All

I am a bit confused. I would like to know the difference between a M-Files Connector for Network Folders and the File Sources. In file sources I can setup a folder as well. I have 50000 files of archive data that needs to be locked and and stored in a folder and then linked to M-Files. Any suggestions?

I am thinking of using File Sources but I am unable to set permissions for the folder or files.

Thank you

Parents
  • I agree that it can be confusing currently, these two options co-exist mainly for historical reasons: file sources have been in M-Files for a long, long time while the Network Folder Connector only some years after the Intelligent Metadata Layer was introduced. I would say that in general you should use the Network Folder Connector whenever possible since it is more modern, robust and supports many different use cases, for instance what comes to authentication and permissions.

Network Folder Connector can also be used with cloud vaults to connect to on-premises network shares over Ground Link which is not possible with file sources.

• Many thanks for the response. I am in the process of converting my perpetual licenses into subscription licenses and then I can use this connector as it is not available for perpetual licenses. So I can use this and setup up authentication as well. Is there a document that can help me with setting up the permissions.

• You can find the configuration instructions in Installing and Configuring M-Files Network Folder Connector. The IML overview which I linked in the previous message has general information on how these connectors work and chapter 4 describes the information security aspects such as authentication and permissions.

Reply Children