This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Quick search placeholder at beginning of a number

Hello,

I have got an invoice number VR1010267816. My collegue asked me to look up the invoice number if you dont have the "VR". How could you find it?

If I am looking up just "1010267816" there is no result. M-Files does not allow placeholders at the beginning. Is there any solution for that problem?

Thank you in advance.

Dennis

Parents
  • If the quick search doesn't return what you are looking for you could perhaps try doing a property-based search using the "contains" operator. Read more in the user guide: https://www.m-files.com/user-guide/latest/eng/property_based_conditions.html#filter_settings_properties__operators

If this didn't help, please describe your scenario in more detail: for instance, where is this invoice number stored? Is it a property on a document or is there maybe a separate Invoice object type in the vault?

• This is actually a problem with broader scope. Many organizations have part numbers, order numbers, invoice numbers etc. where the first couple of characters may be alfabetical indicating some type of code for order type or whatever. Often there are also some "filler" characters to make room for future high numbers. It might look like "C005678". Most users prefer to simply type in meaningful part of the string ("5678") when they need to select an order or other such object. This won't work when creating new objects where you need to fill properties with values from that list. It really could save users a lot of time if M-Files could be configured to use the search term "contains" when typing in data in "select" type properties.

• This is actually a problem with broader scope. Many organizations have part numbers, order numbers, invoice numbers etc. where the first couple of characters may be alfabetical indicating some type of code for order type or whatever. Often there are also some "filler" characters to make room for future high numbers. It might look like "C005678". Most users prefer to simply type in meaningful part of the string ("5678") when they need to select an order or other such object. This won't work when creating new objects where you need to fill properties with values from that list. It really could save users a lot of time if M-Files could be configured to use the search term "contains" when typing in data in "select" type properties.

Children