This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

multiple levels of related objects

Former Member
Former Member
All of our users in M-Files are represented by Employee class objects. Each Employee object has a Supervisor of type Employee.  Each Employee object also has an "M-Files User" field which is chosen from the list of users (for routing/assignment/permission purposes).

I am doing an approval workflow that may need multiple levels of approval from supervisors/managers, depending on how far "down" the hierarchy it starts (for example a shift supervisor needs approval from the shift manager, the department head, the VP and the COO, but the VP would only need approval from the COO)

When doing a workflow, and trying to assign a task using Metadata, I can assign a task to

Employee.M-Files User
Employee.Supervisor.M-Files User

but I cannot seem to go any further in the "hierarchy" (e.g. Employee.Supervisor.Supervisor.M-Files User).

Has anyone been able to build workflows that go up through a hierarchy such as this so that the workflow initiator doesn't have to manually add all of the people involved?

Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member
    Hi,

I had this same issue a while ago. The good news is that it can be done.

You can increase the number of indirect metadata levels by adding the following registry setting on the computer where you are running the M-Files Admin tool:
    Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Motive\M-Files\\Common
    Setting: PseudoUserHierarchyDepth
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Default value: 2

WARNING: each added level will increase the processing time required for calculating the relations in the permission setting dialogues exponentially. It is therefore highly recommended to keep the setting in its default value.

Changing the value does not require a computer/service restart, but the M-Files Server Administrator tool needs to be restarted between changes to the value.

What you can do is:
    1. Set the registry setting's value to 4 and restart M-Files Admin.
    2. Make the changes to the permission settings (requires patience).
    3. Revert the registry value back to 2 and restart M-Files Admin.

The permission settings will remain as you set them in step 2, but the permission tools will revert to showing only two levels to avoid overloading the processor if somebody is just browsing the relationships out of curiosity, for example.

I strongly suggest you do these modifications outside business hours.

/TheMart