The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Management of Configurations

Hi M-Files Forum, 

As you are aware, M-Files is a highly configurable system and, I was wondering how other users have organized their configurations once they begin to become substantial in number.

Over time, I can see the configurations area becoming very large and tough to manage. Is there anything you can recommend to pre-empt the problem? And be more proactive about how these are managed? My concern is making sure configurations are organized in a way that ensures future administrators inherit a logical and organized system that allows them to do their job effectively and efficiently.

For example: Have you or your organizations used any specific groupings or categories to organize the various types of configurations?

e.g. "workflow" configs, "appearance" configs etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Parents Reply Children
  • Yes - I am definitely talking about the Metadata card Configuration here. thanks!

• Some of the bigger challenges in my world are:

• If two or more Admins change rules at the same time the last one to save will overwrite changes made by the other. Have done that a couple of times when training someone via a shared screen where I went ahead and did some of the difficult parts on my computer, and the trainee took the simple parts on his computer...!
    • When was something changed and why? What was it before the change?
      It would be great to have History on configuration changes and the ability to roll back.
      Have in some cases added an "IT changes" object type to a vault and recorded every change in there for documentation purposes. It may seem a bit too cumbersome at the time when you change things, but a month or a year later it can be quite helpful.
  • Thank you and yes we too have been severely burned with the over-write changes problem. The rework to redo such configurations has wasted a lot of valuable time that we didn't have. The good news is we know about the problem now. Agree that a history about config changes would be great to have. Thanks for the input.