The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Make empty lines disappear

Hello all,

I am facing an issue during the creation of a word template. More specifically, I have put lots of properties (each one at a different line) in my template which may have a text value (created through VB script written on the property) according to the choices that were made at metadata card. Otherwise they remain empty. As a result, I would like not to have an empty line created, when these properties remain empty. I tried to write some code in my properties (I am using Microsoft Word 2016), for example:

{ IF "[Group Rates (Description)]" <> "Σφάλμα! Άγνωστο όνομα ιδιότητας εγγράφου" "[Group Rates (Description)]" "" }

but the problem remains. Do you have any idea in order to achieve the appropriate result?

• Hey there,

Based on your description I think i have an answer for you.  When multiple fields are being considered for a single space within a template sometimes it makes sense to perform the consolidation of these fields within M-Files as a secondary property field and map the template to that field rather than the primary set of fields.  This points the template to a single source of content rather than the multiple options a user may be choosing to populate.  Implementing a vb script on the secondary field would provide automation to collate the content together if multiple fields were populated or simply be populated with a singular property's content if only one field had content.  Ultimately if none of the fields had content you would likely still be left with a blank space on your template but with this approach your template would only have a single blank rather than however many you have currently.  I hope this helps!

Tom