I want to make the "Class" property read-only

Good morning M-Filers,

I want to make the Property "Class" read-only on all of my documents. However I guess the system seems to prohibit me from taking this action. I can apply the setting from the Metadata Card configuration (set as read-only); however when I open the respective template I can still change the "Class" property.

The reason: we have instances where users open the template to create a specific document class. When the metadata card is open, they then realise or decide that what they want to create is another type of document class. What I would do is close the template and restart the create new document process, but instead of doing this the normal user tends to take the easy option by changing the class from the "Class" Property Definition by typing or choosing. However, this doesn't actually change the template as the template remains associated with the class of document that they originally started to create. This then results in the document being created on the wrong template. It also adds all the PD's from both classes so it basically becomes a whole mess.

Is there something I am missing here, or something I can do about this, or is this an anomaly in the system??

Many thanks!

Patrick.