Entra ID versus Windows AD when activating Copilot

Hi All, 

When a customer uses Windows AD Authentication for logging into M-Files on premise and wants to activate Copilot and Aino. 

Do we need to migrate the authentication to Entra ID for all users when the E-mailaddress of the Copilot's user is the same as the Windows user?

Will Copilot understand that it's the same user for the permissions? 

Parents
  • Answer specifically for Copilot:

The typical use-case is that the customer uses Entra ID across Copilot and M-Files.  When the connector runs it will check the Graph for users with that email address.  Theoretically, provided users also exist in the Graph with the correct email addresses, you could use AD on-premises for M-Files and Entra ID in the cloud for Copilot...  I think.

If it works by virtue of the email address lookup then you may be able to get this up and running for the customer, but that specific scenario hasn't been tested and is not something we look to actively support.  I would also highlight that, whilst it's unlikely that we will change the way this works in the short term, as this is not specifically supported I would be wary of using this long-term; in general Microsoft would like people to use Entra ID, and many things in the Microsoft ecosystem now expect it rather than AD.

• Answer specifically for Copilot:

The typical use-case is that the customer uses Entra ID across Copilot and M-Files.  When the connector runs it will check the Graph for users with that email address.  Theoretically, provided users also exist in the Graph with the correct email addresses, you could use AD on-premises for M-Files and Entra ID in the cloud for Copilot...  I think.

If it works by virtue of the email address lookup then you may be able to get this up and running for the customer, but that specific scenario hasn't been tested and is not something we look to actively support.  I would also highlight that, whilst it's unlikely that we will change the way this works in the short term, as this is not specifically supported I would be wary of using this long-term; in general Microsoft would like people to use Entra ID, and many things in the Microsoft ecosystem now expect it rather than AD.

Children