The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Increase number of results past 500

I know this has been asked several times but I cannot find a workign solution.

Has anyne ever managed to have more than 500 result displayed at a time, and / or has anyone ever been able to disable paging for results?

I've attached an image of the setting I believe should control this. It does nothing. I've changed it from 500 to 1000, 2000, 0 etc. and it always gives 500.

I've restarted the Vault, restarted my PC, I've tried registry settings to disable paging, I've tried everything.

There are times it would be really useful to change this to more than 500, for example, I currently need to quickly export certain metadata for approx 2000 documents. I would like to have all 2000 listed, right-click and export and get all the data.

But I have to export 4 times and then pull all 4 export files together into one because I cannot increase the 500 limit.

Very frustrating. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but it's doing my head in.

Thanks.

• You need to log out of the vault in the Desktop client and back in again for the changed settings to take effect.
  • I've tried that. I've tried changing the settings in the Admin app, restarting the Vault, then restarting my PC and it still shows as 500.

I've tried client-side registry changes to disable pagination (didn't work).

I simply cannot get anything other than paginated results, each of a max. of 500 documents listed.

I might raise a ticket with support.

Thanks.
  • I tried setting the max count to zero (unlimited) earlier today for both documents and other objects, then logged out and back in. After that I got a total listing of all objects of all kinds in the vault simply by clicking the Search button with an empty search string and no conditions. The object count in that vault includes more than 30.000 documents and thousands of other objects. No pagination at all! But be careful in larger vaults and vaults with many users. Unlimited search places a heavy load on the server and takes long time to complete. So make sure you stay within the limits relevant to your use case, and set the limits back to default, when you are done.
  • Please, try following registry setting, this is for the searches:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Motive\M-Files\[Version]\Client\MFShell\[VaultName]
    Value name: ObjectsPerGroupInSearchResults
    Value type: REG_DWORD (DWORD 32-bit Value)
    Value data: 2000

and for the views, same path:

Value name: ObjectsPerGroupInViews
    Value type: REG_DWORD (DWORD 32-bit Value)
    Value data: 2000

To make the registry setting effective you need to do the following: search something or open the view, in results, press the right mouse button in the result area. From the drop-down menu select 'Restore Display Settings to Defaults ...'. In the opened dialog 'Restore Display Settings to Defaults' press either 'Reset to Common Defaults' or 'Restore to Program Defaults'.

• If the main goal is to export metadata a helpful trick is to make a view and group the view by ID segment. If you export from this grouping level you can get far more than any page limit included.

• Now that's a useful tip! Thanks for that.