The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Limiting M-Files Assignments

Hi All,

I have a bit of an interesting challenge that I'd like to automate a solution for, but not sure if there's a great solution.

M-Files (unfortunately) has a very limited user base in my organization though I occasionally need to pass through M-Files assignments to non-frequent M-Files users. This means that these non-users do have M-Files user accounts.

One individual in particular (at the corporate level) has said that he will only use M-Files for a specific project for specific tasks (workflow tasks for for reviewing/approving Contract Documents), and that all other M-Files notifications, assignments, etc. will be ignored. Is there a way to only allow assignments to be generated for that individual for the Contract Documents workflow but not for other workflows (e.g., a meeting document approval workflow)?

One (inelegant) idea I have is to create a separate person object that is only visible to the person who initiates the Contract Document approval workflow (that Person object would be labeled such that it's obvious what it's for). The user account for that particular User would be tied to that person object. The person object that everyone else can see would not be tied to a user account (and thus wouldn't receive automatically-generated M-Files assignments.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Thoughts?

Parents
  • Thanks for the response, Fred_.

That is an interesting approach. Perhaps one could flip that idea on its head and add some validation to the properties that prevent that user from being assigned to most assignments.

In my typical use case, I can't really pre-define a list of reviewers (say for Meeting minutes) as that is extremely variable.

Thanks for the response!
  • Hi there, 

Just a curious question - why does this one user of them all refuses to follow way of working of company information tech? :)

One way would just to let things happen if that one user does not want to use the system and ignores the rest, then let the user do so. It just adds to the assignment list of user's view but does not affect systems otherwise. 

It sounds really uncomfortable if document vault must have changes done because of a one user refuses to do the tasks as intended. 

• That's a fair question and the answer is fairly simple: M-Files was purchased more-or-less for a single project and has a very small user base (the primary Project plus a couple other smaller projects). Thus, non-Project personnel have no obligation to use the system. Thus, if I want participation from non-users, I have to make it very easy for them, even if that means a bit more work for me as the system admin. 

Finally, if that particular user doesn't respond to M-Files assignments, that will defeat the whole reason I asked him to participate in the first place. 

• That's a fair question and the answer is fairly simple: M-Files was purchased more-or-less for a single project and has a very small user base (the primary Project plus a couple other smaller projects). Thus, non-Project personnel have no obligation to use the system. Thus, if I want participation from non-users, I have to make it very easy for them, even if that means a bit more work for me as the system admin. 

Finally, if that particular user doesn't respond to M-Files assignments, that will defeat the whole reason I asked him to participate in the first place. 

Children
No Data