Character Limit and Rules for WorkFlow State Names

Hi,

Hope you are well.  

Please advise about the character limit for the names of workflow states? How many total characters? Does the character limit include all characters - punctuation, numbers,  even the space character? Are there any characters/symbols we are not able to use in naming workflow states? Any other potential blind spots that could come up with naming workflow states?  I was not able to find anything related to this question in the documentation or help section or elsewhere. Could you please point me to where I could find this info?

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Parents
  • I think the limit is quite generous - I imagine it to be similar to the "text (single line)" property which is 100 characters - we've never implemented a state with such a long name so I am not sure...
    In our organisation we tend to try to make the names of the states and state transitions as concise as possible because when it's too long it can confuse users. Also be aware if you set up an Views and want to see the Workflow State column, if the name is too long it is not practical.

The most important thing is that the current status of the object/workflow is immediately clear for users.

Special characters ($*@ etc.) are permitted for naming states, however I noticed that symbols from the likes of Wingdings cannot be included.

• I think the limit is quite generous - I imagine it to be similar to the "text (single line)" property which is 100 characters - we've never implemented a state with such a long name so I am not sure...
    In our organisation we tend to try to make the names of the states and state transitions as concise as possible because when it's too long it can confuse users. Also be aware if you set up an Views and want to see the Workflow State column, if the name is too long it is not practical.

The most important thing is that the current status of the object/workflow is immediately clear for users.

Special characters ($*@ etc.) are permitted for naming states, however I noticed that symbols from the likes of Wingdings cannot be included.

Children