The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

User account settings

Hello,

I'm looking for a solution to automatically deactivate a user account after a date (at the end of an employee's employment contract for example)
Thank you
Parents
  • If you're using windows authentication, then there could be this done by disabling the AD account of the user. 

I think that's how it's usually done. 

• Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know, but I was looking for a solution independent of AD login
  • I think you're out of luck here. 

If the user account is at some AD group that is synced to M-Files, the account gets disabled in M-Files when the AD account is removed from all of such AD groups that are synced. 

But as said, if the AD account is not used for controlling the login, what kind of mechanism you're looking after - how would the information about ended employment end up so that the login account would be disabled?

• Yes that's it. If we use authentication with AD, it's OK. But if you use M-Files authentication with login and password, it doesn't work. It would be necessary to be able to force the deactivation of a user account in a script for example, with a workflow which would check the expiry dates of the contracts of the employees.
  • As  said: the general approach here would typically be to use AD-linked accounts, and drive everything from that.

If you are using objects in the vault to programmatically create user accounts, then it would be possible to also programmatically update those accounts to remove their licence, for example.

The object I linked to above requires a separate connection to the vault, so you would not easily be able to use it within VBScript or the VAF (as the vault reference you get cannot do it), but it could be controlled by an external application which were run every day at 1am, for example.

I do not have a specific code sample that does this, though.

• As  said: the general approach here would typically be to use AD-linked accounts, and drive everything from that.

If you are using objects in the vault to programmatically create user accounts, then it would be possible to also programmatically update those accounts to remove their licence, for example.

The object I linked to above requires a separate connection to the vault, so you would not easily be able to use it within VBScript or the VAF (as the vault reference you get cannot do it), but it could be controlled by an external application which were run every day at 1am, for example.

I do not have a specific code sample that does this, though.

Children
No Data