This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Smart Metadata for Purchase Order Number

Hi all,

Currently, we are working on the smart metadata feature for purchase order document. In this scenario, we will be the supplier. Therefore, we will be receiving PO from various clients which will be using different template.

Let say we create a property definition with a type "text" for PO number. Would it be possible for us to train the model so it will identify the PO number from various template?

The format would be different for each client. For instance, PO 1234, 111223444, PO-122244, PO1235...

Can this be done in M-Files smart metadata? Or is it technically impossible?

Parents
  • Smart Metadata learns to extract values based on the context in which they appear in the documents, so the more similar the different incoming documents are the higher the probability that the correct value can be extracted. You would need to test this with real documents to find out for sure if it works in all cases.

However, if the PO numbers always follow a certain pattern, for instance if they always have "PO" in the beginning, then you might want to use Text Analytics instead since it can detect such patterns in the content more reliably.

• Hi Joonas, 

Following the question above, i would like to ask whether M-Files Smart Metadata able to train documents in Excel format? I have tried uploading more than 100 excel documents, however it showed error indicating not enough sample. If im using words documents, it worked fine

• My understanding is that in general Smart Metadata should work with any document that has machine-readable text content, but the actual behavior will of course depend on the specific documents you are working with: their similarity and so on. M-Files Smart Metadata - FAQ has some further information on why the training might sometimes not be successful even with enough sample documents.

Reply Children
No Data