This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Question on permissions

Hi all,

I am actually a bit curious on when to use workflow state permission vs class automatic permission.

I always assume that if the document/class has its own worklow, then it is good to set up permission for each state.

However, if the document/class does not have any workflow and we still want to control the permissions, then we can use the class automatic permission.

I am not sure whether this is the right thinking. Is there any possibility to use both permission for 1 class ? I've tried to use both and it seems the workflow state permission override the class permission.

Parents
  • Hi Thaqif, this appears to be my experience too. Once you specify state permissions, they over-ride the permissions that were assigned to the Class by default.

I thought that in specific states you could disable the "Set Permissions" checkbox in State properties so that there are no state-defined permissions applied for a specific state. On this logic, I assumed that the document would revert to its default permissions for that state only.

However I done a test of this in our testing Vault and what happens is that the document retains the permissions from the previous state, if the "Set Permissions" box is unchecked.

• Patrick, the workflow changes the permission settings on the object. This is not a temporary measure, it will remain until you somehow change it again. If you want to change something after an object has passed on from a workflow state with specific permission settings, then you have to specify the new permission settings in the next state.

Workflow states are saved in a Built in Value List. Normally you can specify permissions for each item in a value list, but that is not possible on Workflow states. If it were, you would have been able to configure it as desired.

• Patrick, the workflow changes the permission settings on the object. This is not a temporary measure, it will remain until you somehow change it again. If you want to change something after an object has passed on from a workflow state with specific permission settings, then you have to specify the new permission settings in the next state.

Workflow states are saved in a Built in Value List. Normally you can specify permissions for each item in a value list, but that is not possible on Workflow states. If it were, you would have been able to configure it as desired.

Children
No Data