This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change Document to object

Hi all,

Currently, we are not able to insert property for related documents. This can be done if the related object is not a document.

You may refer to my question here: https://community.m-files.com/forums-1552881334/f/best-practices/7190/insert-property-for-documents-choose-from-list

So, back to my question.

Currently, let's say that we have a document class called transmittal. But all the related document is being keyed in manually since we can't insert property the related documents.

I was thinking to convert the transmittal class (document) into an object. So meaning to say, I wanted to have an object called transmittal. This is because, i can add a transmittal cover sheet template under this object and i can insert property of each of the related document with this approach..

Is it possible to convert document class to object ? I am aware we can convert value list into object.

Parents
  • Your documents already are objects. Document is an object type like any other object type, but is has some special features. You cannot move an existing class from one object type to another object type. The only option would be to create a new object type and then start creating new objects in the new class related to that object type.

• Yup. I think this is what we can do. The only issue I have with this is that, right now the current document object has its own unique running no and that is quite a lot.

It may takes time to ensure all the new object tally with the current running no (need to double check named value manager etc)

• Yup. I think this is what we can do. The only issue I have with this is that, right now the current document object has its own unique running no and that is quite a lot.

It may takes time to ensure all the new object tally with the current running no (need to double check named value manager etc)

Children
No Data