M-Files Custom Application License

Hello,

I have implemented a licensing structure for one of our applications(it properly reports an invalid and valid license). I am just wondering if there is a preferred way to prevent the application from running if the license is invalid. 

I have setup my license according to the following documentation:
https://developer.m-files.com/Frameworks/Vault-Application-Framework/Licensing/#creating-a-licensed-vault-application-framework-application

Is there a proper way to prevent the application from working or is this just something where I set a boolean value and implement a check into my code to prevent things from happening?

Thanks,

Mitch

Parents
  • I concur with what  said: there's no definitive right or wrong answer here.  It's really up to you to define what is a valid and sane approach considering your application and the vault in question.

As an example: you may decide that having an invalid licence (or the licence not being installed) should throw exceptions from your event handlers or other entry points.  This will ensure that users see the issue and hopefully correct it, but it'll also stop the vault from working at all, which is rather obstructive.

Another example: you may decide that having an invalid licence (or the licence not being installed) should simply stop your code running, but not block the events firing.  You may log, for example, that the code hasn't run.  This will ensure that the vault can work, but depending upon your application function it may compromise the integrity of the system (e.g. user does X, expects that your code does Y, but it does not).

Either way I would consider things like exposing the licence status via the dashboard, and/or having a configuration option that can notify someone.

• I concur with what  said: there's no definitive right or wrong answer here.  It's really up to you to define what is a valid and sane approach considering your application and the vault in question.

As an example: you may decide that having an invalid licence (or the licence not being installed) should throw exceptions from your event handlers or other entry points.  This will ensure that users see the issue and hopefully correct it, but it'll also stop the vault from working at all, which is rather obstructive.

Another example: you may decide that having an invalid licence (or the licence not being installed) should simply stop your code running, but not block the events firing.  You may log, for example, that the code hasn't run.  This will ensure that the vault can work, but depending upon your application function it may compromise the integrity of the system (e.g. user does X, expects that your code does Y, but it does not).

Either way I would consider things like exposing the licence status via the dashboard, and/or having a configuration option that can notify someone.

Children
No Data