This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Writing to a FIle in M-Files

I have a software application that currently writes to a file which is saved in my local PC.  Now, since starting to use M-files, how would I write to a document in M-files?  The M-Files files don't exactly have a file path.  Please let me know where to start.  Thanks.

• Hi there, this type of use case is typically outside what's recommended for M-Files, however, it's possible to access the file via filepath so long as you have a view defined which that file is a part of... depending on the manipulation being performed you are likely going to consider and API driven approach which would likely require pulling the file out into a temporary file location, performing the updates, and then uploading the updated file back to M-Files as a new version.  How often does your application write to this file? Is this something which could be maintained locally while in use and then moved into M-files for more long term storage after these updated have been completed? 

• I agree with - this sounds like something which you are probably going to need our APIs for.  Even if you could just "write to the file" - which is a perfectly reasonable request - M-Files would still want the whole check out/in process to ensure that nothing is lost.

• The file is being written to daily.  Thanks for your reply.  I will look into the API approach.