The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change the document class of one of the docs in a multi-file

I am running a workflow and I have a multi-file document consisting of a Word document and a PDF. 

I would like to assign the Word doc to another user.  However, this user does not have write access to the class where the Word doc is stored.  So, in the workflow, I have a vbscript to move it to another Class.  However, the PDF moves with the Word doc.  I checked the metadata and both the word and pdf have the same Document ID.

Is there a way to move the Word document away for editing while keeping the PDF where it is?  The PDF is supposed to be available for other users while the Word doc is in the workflow for editing.

Parents
  • All files in a multi-file document share the same set of metadata, permissions and workflow. You would have to separate these files to two document objects so that you would be able to control their permissions and workflow independently.

From your description it sounds like you have a working copy (the Word file) and a published version (the PDF file). If that is the case, you may want to check out the Version Control Lite add-on module which helps automate this kind of a document publishing process without writing custom code.

• All files in a multi-file document share the same set of metadata, permissions and workflow. You would have to separate these files to two document objects so that you would be able to control their permissions and workflow independently.

From your description it sounds like you have a working copy (the Word file) and a published version (the PDF file). If that is the case, you may want to check out the Version Control Lite add-on module which helps automate this kind of a document publishing process without writing custom code.

Children
No Data