The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Merging Traditional Folders with Virtual Folders View

Is it possible to merge the traditional folder with the virtual folders view?

I am moving some documents to M-Files from a windows files explorer.  I am moving files from windows file explorer to m-files.  The files are zipped and more than 10 levels deep.  I would just need to have this accessible in a View or within the view that is available rather than telling the user "if it's this file, go to traditional folder."

I see how to do views within a view, i tried but it didn't work for me to do a traditional folder in a view.

Have you guys come across the same use case?  How did you do it?

Parents
  • No, it is not possible to merge traditional folder with a view. You can only do traditional folders on the root-level. All other views are pure metadata-driven views. But "Traditional folder" is also a metadata in the end, and you can do a search filter for a view as "traditional folder = folderX". 

I'm not sure if I understood what you meant about the zip-files? If the document you add to M-Files is a zip-file, M-Files will process it as one document. If there is a folder structure within the zip-file, that is is handled by whatever program you use to open zip-files. Windows explorer can open them by double-clicking and you can open files from the zip file, but all that is done "outside" of M-Files. 

• As far as the zip files... I have a zip file which I then unzipped in windows explorer.  When I unzipped it, it was 10+ folders deep where each folder had several files with it.

It would be very time consuming to label and enter metadata for each file.  So, what I did was to create a traditional folder and entered the same metadata for each file.

I wanted to see if the traditional folder can be merged or added as a layer into an existing virtual folder.  Such that from my view, I click my view and then in that view, I have a virtual folder.  I then click on the virtual folder, then I can have the traditional folder as the next level.

It doesn't seem like this is possible.

Thanks for your response.

• As far as the zip files... I have a zip file which I then unzipped in windows explorer.  When I unzipped it, it was 10+ folders deep where each folder had several files with it.

It would be very time consuming to label and enter metadata for each file.  So, what I did was to create a traditional folder and entered the same metadata for each file.

I wanted to see if the traditional folder can be merged or added as a layer into an existing virtual folder.  Such that from my view, I click my view and then in that view, I have a virtual folder.  I then click on the virtual folder, then I can have the traditional folder as the next level.

It doesn't seem like this is possible.

Thanks for your response.

Children