The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Workflows - User Group Approval

Hi all,

I've one question related to workflow. Let say we have this simple document workflow:

no state -> draft -> approved.

In the draft state, I will assign multiple user groups as the reviewers. For instance, technician and supervisors. Obviously, each user group will have multiple users.

My question is, how can I proceed to the next state when only 1 of the users for each group approved the document.

Currently, all user for each group need to approve the document when the group is assigned as the reviewer.

However, we only require 1 User from each User Group to approve before moving to the next state.

• In the Assignment class settings you can define whether it's enough that one person from the group approves or if everyone needs to approve. A good approach is to create several Assignment classes such as "Approval assignment - all must approve" and "Approval assignment - anyone can approve" and use the appropriate class in your workflows based on the requirements.

• Hi Joonas,

Thanks for the answer. Really appreciate it.

Is there any way we can create separate assignment automatically for each reviewer group ?

For instance, I assigned Maintenance, Supervisors and Engineers group (3 groups) then M-Files will automatically create 3 separate assignment for each of these group.

Back to my question earlier, I would imagine there would be few separate assignments created automatically for each of the group and each assignment would be enough that one person from the group approves as what you have advised earlier.

Currently, I am able to create the assignment manually but looking forward to automate it. Numbers of reviewers might be different for each document.

• Yes, you would define three different assignments in the workflow using the Create separate assignments state action. You can either use static user groups or pick the assignees from the metadata of the object. When the object moves to the state, M-Files will automatically create the assignments.

• Hi Joonas,

Yes. That can be done if we define the assignment manually but since the number of reviewer is not fixed and can be different from time to time, that's why I am looking for something that can create the assignment based on the number of reviewers.

I have one field called reviewer which can hold more than one user groups.

In the workflow configuration, I've created one separate assignment which uses the class that you have advised (anyone can approve) but since I use the field reviewer, all the user for each group will be displayed and if 1 person approved, the state will be change. This is not the way I wanted it to be.

As per my question earlier, I wanted at least one person for every group approve the document. Meaning to say, maintenance need to have 1 person approve the document and same goes to supervisor.

I am not sure if there is any way we can retrieve the value from Reviewer field which will be Maintenance and Supervisor and automatically create the separate assignment based on the value entered in the reviewer field. In this case, it should be 2 separate assignments. One for Maintenance and the other for supervisor.

I've tried to explore VB scripting but still not able to find any good resources. 

• The easiest solution would probably be to add separate properties such as "Reviewer 1", "Reviewer 2" and "Reviewer 3" for the object and then pick the reviewing group from those properties for each separate assignment.