This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Attach file to a view using windows file explorer

Hi guys,

I know there is a setting to enable users to drag files to windows explorer  M drive and to a specific view.

Can't remember what was the setting to enable it?

Thanks,

Hass

Parents Reply Children
  • Well, I first thought you wanted to drag from Explorer to the M-Files client.

Just made a few experiments using drag and drop directly in Explorer. It seems  rather confusing because sometimes it is allowed and sometimes it is not. No obvious pattern in when and when not. Anyway, it does not automatically add any metadata from the class or view when working outside the MF client even if you drill down to a specific View in the the explorer. So it really does not offer any advantages to drop on a specific View as opposed to the Vault itself.

• Anyway, it does not automatically add any metadata from the class or view when working outside the MF client even if you drill down to a specific View in the the explorer. So it really does not offer any advantages to drop on a specific View as opposed to the Vault itself.

I'm not sure I follow.

If I have a view (say: "documents, grouped by customer and class"), and I drag a file from my desktop into the "A&A Consulting \ Proposals" view, then the desktop client will pre-fill the customer (A&A Consulting) and class ("Proposal") properties.

So dropping it into the view - at least in some situations - can be add value to dropping it on the vault itself.

Or have I missed what's being asked?

• Craig, that is of course correct if you drag it into a view in the M-Files client. But in windows explorer you can expand the M-drive in the left side column and drill down to the same view without ever opening the desktop client. You only need to be logged in. If you drag and drop on a view right there in the explorer then it doesn't work the same way.

• Aha. I don't think I've ever tried that. 

• Thanks, correct this is what Im trying to achieve. It works with the customer setup as we have changed a setting that was passed to by one of the engineers but can't remember from where. 

• I see, please let me know if you do