This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature Request: Get metadata from last saving

Hi there

Multiple clients asked me this already, and I know that feature from my previous work too. (With ELO)

It would be cool to have a function (button) to get the information from the last saved metadata card.

Example:

You often save a document in the vault and fill out all the information on the metadata card. Then you have to create another document from a template or so, with mostly the same information again because you are still working on the same topic/client/project etc.

Idea:

When you click that button (or shortcut) on the metadata card, M-Files take the information from the last saved metadata card and fill out the actual one with matching properties, that are still empty. Button could be called like "Load last metadata" or similar.

Thanks for checking and maybe implementing that feature.

Best regards

Dominique

• Interesting idea.

I am just wondering, doesn't the right click "Create copy" function basically do this? You create a new document and then you create a copy from that new document. Am I missing something?

• In some cases that work yes. But often you just want to access the last saved metadata/document for the new one. 

Its more like "get me the data back from my last processed object" thing. Easily without thinking before you actually save something. End users mostly don't thing before head, but realize something afterwards. And then it would be very cool to have this kind of function. Was one of the hidden gems in ELO.

• Hmm. when you press "Create copy", does a metadata menu open for you? Or does it just create a copy without you being able to edit the metadata before check-in?

For me the option actually opens up the metadata window where I can still edit the metadata before checking in, so that's why I said that it feels like the same thing but in a different coat. Perhaps there is a possibility to toggle this option somewhere?