This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Desktop UI Release 2022

Please use this thread for any questions or feedback regarding the new Desktop UI Refresh. 

Access preview: 

• Download this file: New User Interface Preview
  • Download this file for the Full Installation: New User Interface Preview - Full M-Files Installation
    • This .zip package contains:
      • Setup file for installing the client
      • Two scripts (NewDesktop.bat & DefaultDesktop.bat) - one for taking the new Desktop UI into use, and another one to take it off
      • Simple instructions for installing the client and for running the scripts
      • Some changes are not available in the preview, but will be available in the November release.

Other resources:

You can find all other resources from Community Page dedicated to the New Desktop UI.

Parents
  • Add me to the users requesting the ability to see both the metadata card and the document preview simultaneously. When we have a large quantity of files that need metadata manually keyed, we can't waste time switching tabs to find the values we need to key. I realize that the toggle feature disabled the configurations but adding extra mouse clicks to an already laborious process seems like a large step backwards.

I've seen a lot of comments from the admin perspective, but not as many from an operations perspective, in which this feels like an impending train wreck. The web version seems to have got it right. Perhaps I missed a thread where a good solution was provided for the desktop client?  

• I should add that I'm new to this forum/community and still trying to find my way around.  

• You can Set the Metadata Card to Open only a single Window.. Then you can Open Metadata Card for an object in a separate Window and click another object it switches Preview and Metadata Card to the News object..

But i agree, please M-Files consider adding the Triple View to Desktop Client, Monitors are wide These days :D

• Thanks for the advice. I found some info on setting the SinglePopupMode and will try that. If it works, I'll push it out to our users. That sounds like a reasonable workaround.

I noticed something else about this: when the metadata card is at the bottom, it takes two presses of the TAB key to get to the save button. In the right-hand position, I have to tab through every field in my card or use the mouse. In Oracle, we can set tab flows to put optional fields after the action buttons and get the user on to their next task quickly. 

I used another ECM product before M-Files, and the default behavior when updating a view full of files that needed metadata was to automatically select the next file in the view after each save. We could update a hundred files without ever touching the mouse after the first click. M-Files is great, but that's one feature I miss from their competitor's product. 

I'm looking at a view right now for a facility of ours that is unfortunately delinquent in putting away almost 2,000 files that need manually entered metadata. After the desktop changes, they may just give up on those and leave them at their current unfiled state. They'll still be able to find them, but it just adds to their already poor practices and may cause problems with retention policies for those docs. 

This concern was mentioned in the New Desktop webinar a month or two ago, so I know that M-Files is aware of it. It's a big enough UX problem for us that it would have failed our regression testing. 

Most of the above added for the consideration of the M-Files development team.

Thanks again for the reply, sweise!

• Very useful tip! I've been testing it and like the results. I found that the popped-out metadata cards maintain their link to the instance that spawned them, so working in two M-Files windows simultaneously is not a problem. For editing a bunch of files, this may be better than the toggled card because I can set it on another monitor, and it stays open. A few hundred users will be getting this registry key this week. Thanks again.

• I'm glad that you found help from this setting! We are still considering other ways as well for showing the metadata and preview side-by-side, as there has been a lot of feedback around this issue.

• Hi Samuli, i wouldnt consider this as "issue". The greatest feature and productivity option for processing a lots of documents has been removed. We are currently getting a lot of angry customers saying they will cancel their subscription if this option isnt back. Hopefully this feature is being implemented back soon.

• Hi Samuli, i wouldnt consider this as "issue". The greatest feature and productivity option for processing a lots of documents has been removed. We are currently getting a lot of angry customers saying they will cancel their subscription if this option isnt back. Hopefully this feature is being implemented back soon.

Children