This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any way for a document/object to be sent through the workflow ON CREATION?

Hi All,

Regarding documents/objects with workflows.

A lot of our users are complaining that it is very cumbersome to have to create a document/object and then have to go back and retrieve it and then send it in the workflow.

In most instances in our organisation, users tend to create Requests with the intention of sending them directly/immediately. They say that creating and then having to go back to retrieve and then to send adds extra clicks to the task, and I tend to agree.

Is there any way that a document can be sent through the workflow upon creation?? Or at least for the option to be available (e.g. when creating a document, the user has the option to either ‘Create’ or ‘Create and Send’.

Thank you for your replies, as always Grin

Patrick.

Parents
  • Hi guys, many thanks for your replies. Apologies for my delayed follow-up; I was on vacation and wasn't on my computer much :-D

Actually there is no problem with workflows, and I have set-up specific workflows as default for specific classes (e.g. a Leave Request has a default/set workflow "WF_Leave Request" - exactly as you have shown, Joonas).

Anyways, my real issue was, when a user creates a Leave Request (or say any other object), they generally (in 99% of cases) want to circulate it in the workflow right away. However, the way M-F is set-up is that once the document/object is created, then the user has to go back and find it and then circulate it.
    Is there any way that there can be the option to also start circulating such a document/object in the workflow upon creation?
    I envisage something like the attached picture. If I click "Create & Send" the document/object will be created and at the same time introduced into the first stage of the workflow. Therefore, I wouldn't have to go back to look for the document and then to send it, as the current practice is for workflow objects.

• You could configure the workflow, perhaps, so that the "Create and Send" workflow state is also available in the state dropdown when creating the object.  It wouldn't be a separate button, but it would still default as above, but allow the user to click the state, show that they want to do it in one step, and then click "Create".

• You could look at options to automatically trigger transition. If the next step is always the same, it could be as simple as checking the all required properties have been filled. If there are different options as next step you could perhaps create some logic to determine which transition is allowed in the given case. If on rare cases people do not want to send the object off right away you might add a property that can be used to hold the object back until released manually.

• Would be nice If there was an option to show and select the newly created object.. Then the User could simply switch the state from the task area after creation..

Reply Children
No Data