The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

Add documents from scanner

Hi,
When using the "Add documents from scanner option ", the file created is a TIFF. How can I set the system to create a PDF? 

TNX 

• In my case the system automatically offers to run OCR and create a searchable PDF when the temporary TIF file is ready. That functionality probably depends on having a license for server side OCR.
    I can't find anywhere to change the default setting for scanned documents when the process is initiated from within M-Files.

• David,  we have to add the following to user's registry setting to save the scanned document from the default .tif to .pdf as per the REGISTRY SETTINGS FOR M-FILES OCR document (page 17)...  It would be nice to be able to use the Admin tool, advanced vault settings but this option is not available (per M-Files support). 

8.7 File Format

Key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Motive\M-Files\<version>\Client\Common\
    NonVaultSpecifics\ScanningAndOCR\ScanningParameters

Value name FileFormatExtension
    Value type REG_SZ
    Description Specifies the file format for the scanned images. TIFF (file format extension "tif") is the default. In general, TIFF
    is the recommended format because it is a multipage format and compresses scanned images well in most
    cases. If the OCR module is enabled, user is prompted to convert the TIFF images to searchable PDF files upon
    saving the files.

Changing the value to “pdf” might be reasonable if you do not have M-Files OCR module but you want to scan
    images as non-searchable PDF files to M-Files instead of TIFF files. The “jpg” value may be the best option when
    scanning picture to M Files. Notice that the JPEG file format does not support files with multiple pages.

Value data "tif" TIF file (default)
    "pdf" PDF file
    "jpg" JPG file