multiple documents versus single document structure

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share a bit of our journey and seek your insights on a challenge we're facing. Back in 2018, we embarked on an exciting project by implementing M-Files on-premises, coupled with the Grooper OCR platform for digitizing historical documents. Our initial phase focused on Accounts Receivable (AR), Accounts Payable (AP), and Asset Management.

The COVID-19 pandemic brought significant changes, especially in how our AR team operated. Embracing remote work, they discovered the power of multiple document folders in M-Files, effectively reducing their paper usage to virtually zero by managing documents digitally.

However, our AP team's story is quite different. They continue to rely on Grooper for OCR scanning, following a process mandated by our CEO. This involves printing digital documents, manually marking them, and then scanning them back into Grooper, which converts them into a single PDF file with an accompanying XML file for import into M-Files.

Here's where I'm seeking your advice: I've explored ways to streamline this process, particularly looking for a method to combine multiple document folders into a single PDF, but so far, I haven't found a solution.

So, my question to this knowledgeable community is: Does M-Files have the capability to merge multiple PDFs into a single document? If not, what alternatives or strategies could we consider to eliminate the need for printing and scanning documents in the AP department? This practice is not only inefficient but also quite frustrating. I'm eager to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this matter. Thanks in advance for your help!

Parents
  • My first advice would be to have a meeting with that CEO where you explain how the approval process for AP can be handled digitally in M-Files. It makes no sense at all to print out digital documents for marking and approval only to scan them back in and run OCR again!

In the compliance kit there is a PDF processor module that can merge files in a multifile document into one PDF. I have not tried this myself though. I cannot advice beyond what you can read in the documentation.

• My first advice would be to have a meeting with that CEO where you explain how the approval process for AP can be handled digitally in M-Files. It makes no sense at all to print out digital documents for marking and approval only to scan them back in and run OCR again!

In the compliance kit there is a PDF processor module that can merge files in a multifile document into one PDF. I have not tried this myself though. I cannot advice beyond what you can read in the documentation.

Children
No Data