This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

API for Outlook

Does anyone have a sample where when a user sends an email from outlook a question is asked "Do you want to save to M-files? Yes or No"

If the user clicks yes the save/properties window is displayed

;D
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member
    Hi Guys,

Glad to see others thinking about this question.

I guess the other thing to consider is a way to prevent responses to emails, say related to a project, from becoming separate documents. Perhaps the response should be treated as a new version of the previously saved email. I guess you'd have to check the email out to prevent other recipients from attempting to respond at the same time. Its a little awkward to do at the moment. These are the steps I need to execute currently to maintain the properties on the email.

Step 1. Save the initial email to the M-Files project. If selected from sent folder it records proof the email was sent.

Step 2. On receiving a reply, the original email needs to be checked out and the new one replacing the original entered with the "replace with" option.

I'm thinking another way to handle this may be to add some rule filtering to the email import connector.
    Rules like;
    - if email address contains @company1.com then relate the email to the company object that has company1.com as the email domain... Something similar may apply for contacts
    - if email has something in the header (say [Project: ID] then relate back to project...
    These could be handy for other things also.

Another possibility may be concept of an email conversation object / document. Emails which are identified as being an extension of the same conversation would automatically update the previous version with M-Files.

Its a complicated space however I think its worth sorting out.

Cheers
    Rob.

• Former Member
    Former Member
    Hi Guys,

Glad to see others thinking about this question.

I guess the other thing to consider is a way to prevent responses to emails, say related to a project, from becoming separate documents. Perhaps the response should be treated as a new version of the previously saved email. I guess you'd have to check the email out to prevent other recipients from attempting to respond at the same time. Its a little awkward to do at the moment. These are the steps I need to execute currently to maintain the properties on the email.

Step 1. Save the initial email to the M-Files project. If selected from sent folder it records proof the email was sent.

Step 2. On receiving a reply, the original email needs to be checked out and the new one replacing the original entered with the "replace with" option.

I'm thinking another way to handle this may be to add some rule filtering to the email import connector.
    Rules like;
    - if email address contains @company1.com then relate the email to the company object that has company1.com as the email domain... Something similar may apply for contacts
    - if email has something in the header (say [Project: ID] then relate back to project...
    These could be handy for other things also.

Another possibility may be concept of an email conversation object / document. Emails which are identified as being an extension of the same conversation would automatically update the previous version with M-Files.

Its a complicated space however I think its worth sorting out.

Cheers
    Rob.

Children
No Data