The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Restarting the workflow on the document

I created a workflow and a document has gone through the steps.  The steps are: No State, Draft, Review, and Approve.  The final state is 'Approve.'  

Now, I want to take that same document and put it back in the same workflow.

However, the metadata on the document shows workflow status still remain at 'Approve'. 

How do I take the document out of the workflow state after it completes a workflow?

I tried to de-select the workflow on the metadata card (by selecting a blank area in the workflow selection), but it still goes back to the prior workflow.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Parents
  • If you are administrator in the vault you can use the Change State (Admin) function to remove the workflow or change the state to any of the states in that workflow. If you are an ordinary user you will have to ask you administrator for help. For a one time operation he could use the tool mentioned above. If this is something that might be relevant in the future as well he should add a transition to the workflow to allow users to restart the process.

• That didn't work for me.  I'm an admin user.

I right clicked the 'document collection' and selected Workflow>Change State.

Then the 'Change State' box opened with the following options:

1) workflow

2) State Transition

3) Comments

The workflow selection shows the current workflow.  I click on the pulldown menu to its right, but nothing else is available to be selected.

The state transition also has a pulldown menu that can be selected but the only thing that it has is "Workflow: <Workflow Name>"

There is also an option to refresh the list, but it didn't do anything (or it did, but just didn't show anything else but the current workflow name).

On the metadata card, I click the Workflow name, then I select the empty area (so as to select no workflow).  The workflow name is then removed, but the workflow state is still showing.  I then select 'Save' only for the workflow name to come back on the metadata card.

• Make sure you have a state transition from the state that you believe the document will be right before you remove from the workflow, to the "no state" state. If you want to have this as a choice for any state, then you need a transition from each of the states to "no state" which should allow you to essentially remove the association of the workflow at any point.

• Make sure you have a state transition from the state that you believe the document will be right before you remove from the workflow, to the "no state" state. If you want to have this as a choice for any state, then you need a transition from each of the states to "no state" which should allow you to essentially remove the association of the workflow at any point.

Children
No Data