The M-Files Community will be updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM EST / 2:00 PM GMT and the update is expected to last for several hours. The site will be unavailable during this time.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Losing Hyperlinks when Saving As PDF

I have a Word document that has a table of contents and hyperlinks to web pages.  When I click on the table of contents, it hyperlinks to that section of the document.  The web hyperlinks also opens the browser.

In M-Files, I go to 'Sharing, Email and PDF' and select either 'Save as PDF' or 'Convert to PDF (add separate file)'.  When I select these options, I lose the hyperlinks in the document.  I am not able to click on the Table of Contents and go directly to that section of the document.

However, If I run this through a workflow that converts it to PDF in the end, the hyperlinks on the Table of Contents remain clickable, and so to the web page links.

Does anyone have an idea why i'm losing the hyperlinks?  Thanks.

Parents
  • There are two "types" of PDF conversion: client-side and server-side.  They both use different techniques to create the PDF:

• The "client-side" conversion (right-click, Save as PDF) uses Word to print the document as a PDF.  The features and functionality available here primarily depend on Word.
    • The "server-side" conversion (via a workflow or API call) uses a library to convert the document to PDF.  The features and functionality available here primarily depend on the library.

You say that this breaks both standard hyperlinks and also the table of contents.  I just tried this and, whilst the table of contents was broken, I couldn't make the hyperlinks break.  Can you confirm?

• Thanks.  Both the Table of contents and hyperlinks break.  I'm having to take the documents out of M-Files and resave them "As PDF" on my local computer to preserve the Table of Contents links and hyperlinks.

The table of contents is the more important item for us.  Because we create a lot of documents in Word with table of contents, then we make the PDF available for everyone, and these documents have too many pages to be scrolling down to just to get to that section.

Maybe I'd create a single step "Convert to PDF" workflow temporarily just to accommodate this while I research a solution. 

I thought there may be a setting in M-Files that would need to be set.

• Thanks.  Both the Table of contents and hyperlinks break.  I'm having to take the documents out of M-Files and resave them "As PDF" on my local computer to preserve the Table of Contents links and hyperlinks.

The table of contents is the more important item for us.  Because we create a lot of documents in Word with table of contents, then we make the PDF available for everyone, and these documents have too many pages to be scrolling down to just to get to that section.

Maybe I'd create a single step "Convert to PDF" workflow temporarily just to accommodate this while I research a solution. 

I thought there may be a setting in M-Files that would need to be set.

Children