This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mobile app and metadata card rules

Hi M-Files and community, 

We are now in process to test our use cases (different document types) on different platforms including mobile apps (Androids and IPhone). As you can imagine, many users are very excited that they would be able to create/edit document, move through workflow etc.

Unfortunately, I can see now that mobile app behaves slightly different as desktop application and that users actually can not create documents of specific document types.

The problem is related with metadata card rules that we use to hide specific metadata from users during "Created" workflow state (initial workflow state when metadata card is opened, initial state of the workflow). Some of metadata is mandatory and will be calculated automatically when user clicks on "Create" button so actually the value will be correctly filled out after creation.

In case of mobile apps, it seems that (even though) user selects prepared template (which is associated with workflow and first "Created" workflow step), the workflow and initial step is not selected! This causes that all metadata is shown to users (including those which will get calculated after click to "Create" button) and that user needs to provide them. We have actually disable the most of calculated properties so that user do not provide values but actually our VAF application prepare and calculate them. So actually through mobile app, users are not able to create document types at all!

So my questions:

• Do metadata card rules apply to mobile/web at all and in which form?
  • How to enable those complex cases in mobile/web? (I assume in web it would not work either)

I see now this could be a big trouble for us as we have complex scenarios and need hide complexity from users.

How do you deal with this? Can someone elaborate more on options?

Thanks.

Dejan

Parents
  • The web and mobile clients do support metadata card configurations but not everything that the desktop client does. You can find a list of the feature support per client in the Metadata Card section of M-Files Feature Comparison.

• Thanks Joonas for feedback. Based on experience described above, we have an issue that the use case and implementation working in Desktop is not working on Web or Mobile clients as metadata card is behaving differently on document creation. Just wondering what we could there to be compatible with other clients.

Are there any plan to fully support metadata card rules to apply on all clients? Especially hiding/showing properties before/after document creations.

Dejan

• I believe the long term plan is that the new M-Files Web would gradually get feature parity (or at least as close as possible) with M-Files Desktop in this support. We are also planning a redesign of M-Files Mobile but I haven't yet heard what this means for metadata card configuration support. (The classic M-Files Web is unlikely to get further support since the development focus is now on the new web client.)

• I believe the long term plan is that the new M-Files Web would gradually get feature parity (or at least as close as possible) with M-Files Desktop in this support. We are also planning a redesign of M-Files Mobile but I haven't yet heard what this means for metadata card configuration support. (The classic M-Files Web is unlikely to get further support since the development focus is now on the new web client.)

Children