This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Full-Text Search broken for newly created Objects

Suddenly I cannot search for newly created Object, so I guess Indexing doesn't work anymore and I think there are two Indexes missing.

Rebuilding doesn't work..

Advanced Vault Settings:

Indexes on Drive:

How could this happen and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much!

• Hey dejan,

Indexer runs with Local System Account, which should have access to the files.. Maybe there are really some files missing but I cannot delete the index and start from scratch (or I don't know how to do it) Disappointed

• Please tell me how to succesfully create a new index, I tried to (created dtSearch Indexes for FileData and MetaData and set them as Active Indexes) but then when searching I always get a message that the path cannot be accessed (I created "C:\Indexes\MD" and "C:\Indexed\FD")

I'm stuck, cannot delete (they re appear everytime I set the vault back online) or rebuild (missing file error) the old indexes and cannot build new ones..

Imported an old backup and there the index is working, and if I take metadata.fdb from there and change it in my broken vault the index works again so I guess the problem is in the metadata.fdb but I cannot look into it..

Please M-Files!

• Hi , it sounds like your question is best for Support. Just in case it helps, I'm linking a page from our User Guide about rebuilding search indexes. If that doesn't work, Support is probably your best bet. There's a link to the Customer Support Portal on this page: M-Files Community

• Whenever you rebuild the indexes (Rebuilding the dtSearch Full-Text Search Index.pdf) that recreates the indexes. M-Files keeps track of which files it has indexed and which it has not in the database, so if you just deleted the index files it would recreate the files but not know that it needs to go back and re-index the files it already did.

That's why we recommend you use the rebuild option in the Admin tool as that will delete the files, restart the index count, and recreate the files.

I would recommend you remove the new/extra indexers unless they are needed for anything specific, and just have the default indexers for now.

Check what processes are running in the background on the server. You should have multiple index processes running (MFIndexer.exe). Usually you should have at least two running but you might have more if you have more than one vault or external connections.

When you rebuild the indexer give it time to complete. It will run in the background and go back over all the objects in the vault and depending on resources and the number of objects this can complete in minute or days.

While it's running you still should be able to use advanced searches and views to find objects as those ignore the index. If you can't find the object(s) using those options then it's possible it's not an indexing issue.

When it's likely caught up if you still aren't getting all results in your searching then that is when you want to do the Verify and Repair (Thorough) option again. One reason that the indexer might not be getting everything is if it has hit an object(s) it can't index. This can cause the indexer to fail, retry, and fail again and to keep looping. Usually when that happens a verify and repair can help find which files are the cause as the V&R will, among other things, try to do similar checks as the indexer. If it finds files that are inaccessible or corrupted at the end it should give you a list of all the objects that were problematic.

Sometimes you can take that list and it's easy to identify the problem files. Other times it's not. If you can locate the problem object(s), delete/destroy them from the vault and see if that resolves the issue.

That's one of the reasons we highly recommend support in these cases. If the indexer is failing on objects it might take a deeper dive into the database to locate and remove the problem object(s) which is something that would likely require a call with someone from the support staff.

• Additionally check the Windows Event Viewer (User Guide Link) to see if the indexer(s) are throwing any errors.

• Thanks but I tried everything suggested, verify and repair always stays at last step (had it running for a whole weekend and it didn't finish), rebuilding always fails.. As you said a dive into the database is necessary and I already installed Firebird Server 2.5 and a DB Browser (Firebird Maestro) and could open the metadata.fdb but I'm no expert so I need some advice where to look.. As I said, I have no active subscription and cannot afford one with the new price model so it doesn't help directing me to support..

• Contact whomever was your Account Manager to see if we can find any one off solutions to help in this instance.

Doing a database dive is not something that is feasible via community. It will take some investigation much of which will be specific to your vault.