This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Update documents property from parent

Hello,

We have a project object with a country property. Ex Object CT21007

Documents are then linked to this project object by contrat(s) property and the country property is inherited. Exemple document linked to object CT21007

If I change the country on my project, is there a way to upadate this information on all the documents related to the project?

Regards.

Thomas

Parents
  • Compliance Kit, Managed Properties would allow this to be updated dynamically, but be careful! With many documents related to a project  it will place a heavy load on the server when it has to check and possibly change the property on all those documents. If a change is only relevant in rare cases you might be better off using a manual mass change (select all relevant documents, change the property for all documents at once). The consultant tool "Object Changer" could also help you out. Discuss with your M-Files reseller.

• Thanks for your answer. Do you know which specific function of managed properties allows you to perform a mass update?

Thomas

Reply Children
  • Managed Properties itself does not allow a mass update. It only offers to update properties dynamically when certain conditions are fulfilled elsewhere in the system or on the current object.

I sometimes add a "dummy" property to a class for this purpose. Usually a boolean called "Toggle for recalculation". With that in place you just change the value on all objects from Yes to No or the opposite to force Managed Properties to update the automatic values.  If you have thousands of objects it is not practical to change the dummy manually, then you could use Object Changer to work its way through the list.

• OK Thanks. We are going to make a script.

Regards.

Thomas