This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to get object properties when retrieving all the items of a view using the REST API

I am using the REST API to retrieve all the items in a view (something like 'views/v10/L101/L137/items'). This gives a list of items but the items do not include the object properties. Therefore I need to ftech each item one by one to get all the object properties. This generates  a lot of HTTP requests. I was wondering whether it is possible to get all the objects including their properties from a view.

Thank you in advance :-)

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks Craig, I will try this endpoint :-)

• Hi Craig,

Why the table BasicProperties in the item structure in the REST response is always empty, isn't it possible to return in this table the view properties for each ObjectVersion ?

For 250 objects, the only search run in 2 secondes, The search then the retrieval all properties run in 8 secondes, it's too long.

Best regards

• The REST endpoints largely mimic the COM API structures.  Just as with the COM API, the data returned by a search or view listing only contains the generic title/class information, not the properties.

Optimising the retrieval of properties can be done in a few ways, depending upon your exact scenario:

• Do not retrieve properties one-by-one, or one-object-by-one.  Instead use this endpoint to request them all at once (the POST version does not have the querystring length limitation).  This reduces the number of HTTP requests (and the associated overhead) significantly, typically to just two requests.

• If you have very specific search-and-retrieval requirements then consider creating a vault extension method that can be given the search criteria, run the search, retrieve properties, and return just the specific data you need.  This reduces the number of HTTP requests to just one, and you can control the exact data sent over the wire so can remove the amount of data being serialised/deserialised and then thrown away.
  • Many thanks Craig

8 secondes is with the request all at once, I will study the VAF solution

Have a good day