Traditional Folder - Disappeared

Hi Everyone!

So I have a user that used to have access to a traditional folder but no longer has access to that folder in that it is "hidden" in the main window. Kind of like a view that is hidden. However, I am not sure if there is a way to "un"hide that folder? The user has the correct permissions and all other users can still see the folder. Any suggestions?

  • Have you tried right-click in the window and then Unhide Views? Not sure if works on traditional folders, but worth a try...

  • Hey, yes I tried... unfortunately that doesn't do the trick

  • How lengthy path there is to this traditional folder that appears to be missing? 

    Is this traditional folder liked to some external file source? If so, has someone changed the permissions of that actual folder there? if this has been done, it's possible it affects that way user cannot see it anymore. 

  • It is the parent folder, so no path at all. And no, it is not linked to any sort of external file source, it is simply a traditional folder. The permissions of that folder include the user that is missing it. In fact they can still search by that folder, but they can not see it on the home screen.

  • Can you see that folder with regular user rights (no admin role)? 

    If you can, request the user to clear local cache if that would help. There may be some metadata caching issue at the one workstation. Or, if the user tries another computer, does it work then? 

  • Hi Jasmine,

    We have experienced the same problem with a parent folder except that the user can see it but as someone with admin rights I can no longer see it. The only way for me to locate those folders/files is to use Advanced Search to filter by Traditional folder and then drill down. When the user runs into issues with Permissions I have to walk her through the process as I can't access the folder/subfolder properties.

    M-Files support identified the problem but was unable to resolve it 2 years ago. I have also had Common Views disappear when a new one is created.  Here is a recap of my correspondence with M-Files October 2019.

    "As a summary of the call and findings, we still haven't been able to get the Traditional Folder visible for those users. Since you do have a lot of traditional folders, it looks like over 20k, then this can just be an object or view limit in M-Files where it is not showing all the available folders.

    Usually when M-Files hits a limit like this it's based of an internal ID and sorting that isn't alphabetical or similar sorting. The result of these kind of limits is that seemingly random objects are missing.

    We tried various options inside of the Advanced Vault Settings configuration but were not able to resolve this limit."

    After various unsuccessful attempts to increase the limit in the number of traditional folders M-Files support came back with this response.

    "Our Dev team has confirmed there is a bug in the setting of the limit in the number of traditional folders.
    Any changes to that setting are getting ignored, which is why there is no change even if we set it to a number high enough.

    A bug report has been opened for this issue for our Dev team to resolve in a future release.
    There isn't an ETA though.

    So for now it's limited to the default number of visible Traditional Folders.
    The workarounds until this bug is fixed is to use either views, or if you can rework the total number of traditional folders through archiving or other methods to be below the default limit that should also clear the issue."

  • One more thing to check, as I too experienced this for one of my customer vaults. For me, it turns out that the customer had a View with an identical name as the Root Traditional Folder. Once I renamed the View to something different for that user, the Traditional Folder could properly be displayed again. I think the issue is that for desktop, Views and Root Traditional Folders all show in the Drive Mapping for your vault at the same level and Windows does not allow Identical names for any given level in the hierarchical display.

    Of note, it always worked in the Web for my customer because the URL used the GUID for the Traditional Folder portion instead of its Name.