This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I Change the Naming Convention of Multifiles?

Hello,

Multifiles on our system force the first file added to them to adopt the same name, and I would like to change this behaviour.  

For example, let's say we have an empty multifile titled "Customer Questions".  I would like to add the file called "Question 1" to this multifile.  When I do this, the file "Question 1" is renamed to "Customer Questions"; the same name as the multifile itself.  Then, if I want to add another file "Question 2" to this multifile (which already contains 1 file), that next file will keep its name.  So I now have a multifile titled "Customer Questions", with two files: "Customer Questions" and "Question 2".

I do not believe that this is the default behaviour of multifiles, and I assume that this behaviour is controlled somewhere in M-Files Admin, though I'm at a loss as to where.  I do not want the multifiles to change the names of files that get added to them.

Where and how can I change this behaviour? 

Thank you

Parents
  • To my understanding, any file that is added to the MFD automatically assumes the metadata card of that MFD.

When I have used this functionality, I have been able to create a MFD first, then drag and drop the documents, and they have retained their original File name title in M-Files, however the metadata card is the same as the MFD metadata card. In my case this is not a problem. Let me know if you want to see my set up and how it looks, I am happy to collaborate and learn more.

What is the end point that you need? If it is a specific view, then perhaps you can use a property field with a value list. or keywords? 

• Thanks for taking the time to write this out.  I agree with what you say about multifiles: all documents within share the same metadata except that they can all have their own names.  

When I create a multifile and then drag-and-drop files onto it, I get this problem that the first file is auto-renamed to the name of the multifile.  All files after this first file keep their names.  I should also mention that if I try to change the name of the first added file, it reverts back to the name of the multifile.  

Now!  If I create a multifile through the MFilesAPI and add source files to it, I do not get this problem.  Somehow creating them programmatically allows me to bypass this rule.

My real question is this: I am pretty certain that this behaviour is controlled somewhere in the M-Files Admin tool, but I have done some looking around and I cannot find anything.  Where in M-Files Admin tool is the default behaviour of multifiles controlled?  

• Thanks for taking the time to write this out.  I agree with what you say about multifiles: all documents within share the same metadata except that they can all have their own names.  

When I create a multifile and then drag-and-drop files onto it, I get this problem that the first file is auto-renamed to the name of the multifile.  All files after this first file keep their names.  I should also mention that if I try to change the name of the first added file, it reverts back to the name of the multifile.  

Now!  If I create a multifile through the MFilesAPI and add source files to it, I do not get this problem.  Somehow creating them programmatically allows me to bypass this rule.

My real question is this: I am pretty certain that this behaviour is controlled somewhere in the M-Files Admin tool, but I have done some looking around and I cannot find anything.  Where in M-Files Admin tool is the default behaviour of multifiles controlled?  

Children
No Data