This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

unable to delete property from property from property definitions due to "catastrophic failure"

Hello, 

I had a property "x" which was a list of object type "OT-X". I created a new property "x" which is not a list of object type "OT-Y".

I did the following :

• I removed old "x" and added new "x" in all the classes where it was used. 
  • Delete property "x" (with list of object type "OT-X") from property definitions. I see the following popup.

• when I click on "yes". I get the following error. 

and after that, I get this error : 

My question here is, what is the meaning of this catastrophic failure ?

Why am I not able to delete the property even though its not referenced anywhere?

Parents Reply Children
  • I believe that the "Catastrophic failure" relates to something happening within M-Files Admin.  Possibly some unexpected data when trying to retrieve the property definitions for display, I don't know.  The two issues may well be related.  They both refer to property definitions.

But, again, if you ever see this sort of behaviour then it is exceptionally unlikely that you should or could resolve it without support from M-Files.  Users of this forum, even M-Files support personnel, are unlikely to be able to help in a medium like this.

Regards,

Craig.

• Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it

• Hi Shoeb, 

You should have a look if you use your metadata in some of NACLs. M-Files does not provide suggestions where it is used in NACLs (really needed feature). In window above it recommends 3 positions, I would tip on NACLs.

It would be really useful if we include NACLs in that usage window of metadata. Currently M-Files always shows only classes. Happened far to often that we forget used metadata in NACLs.

Dejan

• Hi Dejan,

I can see an improvement request in our tracker around this (ID 17315).  If you can send me your company name then I can add your organisation as a requestor.

Regards,

Craig.

• thanks Dejan, that was the exact problem!. I really hope the admin could give me some more information rather than just saying "catastrophic error". I found the property being used in workflow permissions and also in NACL's as a metadata. Once I updated them, I was able to remove the property without any problems

• Similarly, shoeb, if you can send me your company name (in a private message) then I can add this to the improvement request.

• Actually we do not have even a single line in M-Files source code for "catastrophic error". 

That error echoes from the ODBC driver. Even the error message is shown by M-Files, it originates from the 3rd party driver.